You, O Lord, are a shield for me, My glory [and my honor], and the One who lifts my head. Psalm 3:3 (amplified)
Hey Y’all! Happy Friday! I finally caught a break on the weather. After the 2 snow storms earlier this week the past two days of sunshine and 50+ degree weather has been glorious! Further to my delight was my daughter having the day off from school. Good weather + photographer = photoshoot. Which I have been trying to have since just before Easter.
I originally sewed this skirt using Simplicity 8394 a Mimigstyle pattern for Easter. My daughter and I worked on making ourselves mom and me skirts for church and I bought my son a suit in a complimentary color. However, that was a total bust because he got sick with strep throat and we were on lock down the whole Easter weekend. bummer right..? So I decided that we would give it another try for Mother’s Day. (I’m planning a future blog post for that as well featuring my daughter’s skirts that she made using Simplicity 8609).
We used this vintage inspired scattered floral print stretch twill fabric from Joann Fabrics. I let her choose the fabric and at first I wasn’t feeling it until I saw this pattern. The 1950’s vibe of the skirt along with the fitted silouhette of the pencil skirt worked well with the vintage vibe of the fabric without making it look old fashioned. The top I bought from NY and Co and the shoes are from my closet.
Overall. I ♥ this pattern!!! Fitting it was easy. I added a contoured waistband instead of using the facing and I finished the flounce by adding a lining. I hate double fold hems. Its one of my least favorite finishing techniques. So I attached the lining to the flounce at the hem and folded it up/ understitched and attached it to the hem of the pencil skirt. I like the clean finish of the hem and it gave a little weight and extra fullness to the flounce.
The only thing that I didn’t like about this pattern was that the sizing ran small. I had to add 6.5″ to the hip and 3.5″ to the waist. It came in plus sizing as well, which would have given me the room I needed in the hip but would have been huge on me everywhere else. I opted instead for the smaller misses sizing and increased only where I needed to, which worked out perfectly. Other than that I noticed after I finished it that the side seam needs to be moved foward by about 1/2 “. I’ll do it next time by adding 1/2″ to the side seam back and subtracting 1/2” to the side seam of the front. I plan on making this a go to pencil skirt sloper for future skirt projects. It’s figure flattering without being tight which for me is always a good thing!
Until next time!!